Lincoln Preservation Foundation
The Goose Creek Historic District is a nearly 10,000-acre rural area in western Loudoun County, Virginia. Europeans first settled the area in the 1730s. By 1750, Quakers had established a meeting house in the village of Goose Creek; the name later changed to Lincoln. Eventually, Goose Creek became home to the largest concentration of Quakers in Virginia. The village and surrounding farmlands were also inhabited by free African Americans. To learn more about the historic locations and events in the area, click the links below.
Set on a beautiful yard, Oakland Green is a house consisting of log, stone and brick sections. The original log portion of the house was built in the late 1730s on a 505-acre tract of land deeded by Lord Fairfax to Richard Brown. The stone wing was built in the 1740s, and the brick addition in the 1790s. Today the 200 acre farm raises Angus beef and the house serves as a bed and breakfast.
Meadowlawn is most famous for its purported use as a stop on the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. The house was once much larger than its current four bedrooms, but an entire 2 story wing “disappeared” many years ago. Meadowlawn has been home to a number of Loudoun County’s well known families, including the Piggotts, the Hirsts, the Wilsons, and the Janneys.
Jacob & Hannah Janney House
Also known as "Achila Meade," this stone house was built about 1749 to replace the original log cabin. Jacob and Hannah Janney, married at the Falls Meeting in Bucks County, PA, on March 20, 1742, moved with their young family to Virginia in 1745. Hannah Janney, who raised 12 children here with Jacob, was a leading spirit in the founding of Goose Creek Friends Meeting.
Site of the first mill built in 1752 on the Northwest Fork of Goose Creek--for which the community and Friends’ meetings of Goose Creek were named--Circleville itself was named by Quaker postmaster Thomas Brown in 1836 for the two semi-circle curves made by the old Lincoln-North Fork road as it wound its way down a 456-foot-high hill and across Goose Creek.
Goose Creek Stone Meeting House
The Quakers established farms in the area and met for worship in various family homes. In 1747, the group established the Goose Creek Friends Meeting and in 1765 built this stone Meeting House. Since 1819, it has been the private residence of the caretaker and still owned by the Goose Creek Meeting.
The Lincoln Oak
The Lincoln Oak, located at a sharp bend on Sands Road between Lincoln and Hamilton, is approximately 250 years old. It predates the Revolutionary War and bore witness to the skirmish of Katy's Hollow during the Civil War. It marks the area where the Manassas Gap Railroad bed traverses the road, and where Mosby’s raiders led a surprise attack on Union troops in 1865.
The Quakers, who deeply valued education, constructed a one-room log school house. In 1815, they built the current structure of brick made on the premises and open to all children of the area. Today the structure is used by the Quakers for their "First Day" school, as well as a volunteer "living history" program for area school children.
Built by Yardley Taylor, one of the areas best known abolitionists, who helped slaves escape to the north to freedom. This was once the home of Catherine Marshall, widow of Reverend Peter Marshall (former chaplain of the Senate), and world-known author of A Man Called Peter and the Christy novels. Previous owners include Howard and Sarah Hoge, and Dr. Howard Hoge Warner.
Somerset was originally built in the 1830's by Richard Henry Taylor. He operated a foundry on his property where he became known for crafting frog doorstops, grill work, and farm bells of iron. His greatest achievement was designing and crafting the first iron beam plow to be used in Loudoun County. It also features the oldest Bald Cypress tree in Loudoun County.
Springdale Home & School for Girls
The school was built in 1839 by Samuel Janney, a devout Quaker and author of several books, including The Life of William Penn. A staunch abolitionist, Samuel Janney wrote about his school: "First I saw the necessity of educating the white children... And secondly, I thought it would be the means of promoting the anti-slavery sentiment which was obstructed by ignorance and prejudice."
Manassas Gap Railroad Bed
In March 1853, construction began. The route extended 27 miles, from Centreville to Purcellville. Work was discontinued in 1857. The bed stretches through the Lincoln Loop, and crosses Sands Road near the Lincoln Oak. Parts of the Loudoun branch of the Manassas Gap Railroad survive here, and the historical marker is 100 feet north of the site.
The Battle at Katy's Hollow
Over 100 of Colonel John S. Mosby's Confederacy rangers hid near the "cut" of the railroad bed on Sands Road on March 21, 1865, awaiting the approach of some 1000 Union troops who were marching through western Loudoun, burning barns, buildings, and food. Mosby's men ambushed the soldiers and chased them back to Hamilton.
Mount Olive Baptist Church
This African American Baptist Congregation was organized in 1879 and the building was erected in 1884. The church, still in use, has benefited from some of the most dedicated pastors and laymen of any in Loudoun. The property line for Mt. Olive's cemetery abuts that of Grace Church.
Foundry & Bell Yard
Richard Henry Taylor owned a foundry on this site where his popular frog doorstops, bells, and the famous Taylor Plow were made. In 1876, a rival foundry was built in Purcellville, named the Loudoun Manufacturing Co. It was commonly believed that someone from the Purcellville foundry came down one night to Richard Henry Taylor's foundry, stole his plow mold, and patented it.
Lincoln Post Office
The building best known as “Janney’s Store” was originally built c1874. Asa Moore Janney, Sr. purchased the building in 1928 and opened a general merchandise store which also housed the Lincoln Post Office. His son, Asa Moore Janney, Jr. continued the family business until the early 1990’s. The building still houses the Lincoln Post Office.
Lincoln Graded School
Built in 1879, this building housed the two-room Lincoln Graded School. It served briefly as a high school but is best known as the former Lincoln Elementary School from 1915 to 1955. ln 1978, Mrs. Catherine Marshall, author of popular novels including A Man Called Peter and the Christy series, purchased the building and established Breakthrough, Inc., an intercessory prayer ministry.
Grace Methodist Episcopal Church
The Grace Methodist Episcopal Church in Lincoln was first organized in 1872 and completed in 1885. The basement of the church was used to teach sewing, cooking and shoe repair. In September of 1949, the church was abandoned. The original structure is owned by the Friends of Grace Multicultural Center, descendants from the congregation.
Orthodox Meeting House
This brick structure was built in 1886 for a splintering group of the Goose Creek Friends. Its congregants were of a more orthodox persuasion than Goose Creek. In 1950 the two Goose Creek Meetings reunited, and the building was sold as a private residence. It also provided additional classroom space for the Lincoln High School after the school burned down in 1926.
Lincoln Elementary School
Opened in 1908 on land donated by Quakers, this school was one of the first high schools in the county. Previously, students attended the Lincoln Elementary and High School at the south end of town on property adjacent to the present Goose Creek Meeting House. In 1954 the building became the Lincoln Elementary School.
The structure was built as a commercial building in 1908, opening its doors as the Nichols General Merchandise and operating as a general store for at least two decades. Despite major renovations, the original store room is largely intact from the turn of the century. Today the building is a private residence.