Recent news?

Chronology

Here you can see a list of landmarks, homes, and sites in the Goose Creek Historic District in chronological order, according to age. More are to come as we expand the website and gather information. By clicking on the button you can get additional information specific to that site. Initially only some sites will have detailed information, but over time we will populate all sites.

1730s

Home - Oakland Green

Set well back on a beautifully landscaped garden yard, Oakland Green is a three-part house consisting of log, stone and brick sections. The original log portion of the house was built in the late 1730s on a 505-acre tract of land deeded by Lord Fairfax to Richard Brown. The stone wing was built in the 1740s by Richard Brown’s son Henry and the brick addition in the 1790s by his son John. Oakland Green has been in the Brown family for ten generations. Today the 200 acre farm raises Angus beef and the house serves as Oakland Green Farm Bed and Breakfast.

1742

Home - Meadowlawn

Meadowlawn was built circa 1742 and is most famous for its purported use as a stop on the Underground Railroad during the Civil War while under the ownership of Samuel Janney, a Quaker minister. The house was once much larger than its current four bedrooms, but an entire 2 story wing “disappeared” many years ago. Meadowlawn has been home to a number of Loudoun County’s well known families, including the Piggotts, the Hirsts, the Wilsons and the Janneys.

1749

Jacob and Hannah Janney House

Also known as "Achila Meade," this 1 ½ -story stone house was built about 1749 to replace the original log cabin or “patent house” (measuring 16’ x 20’) with which Jacob Janney had secured his land grants from Lord Fairfax in 1743 and 1744.  Jacob and Hannah Janney, married at the Falls Meeting in Bucks County, PA, on March 20, 1742, moved with their young family to Virginia in 1745. Hannah Janney, who raised 12 children here with Jacob, was a leading spirit in the founding of Goose Creek Friends Meeting. 

1752

Circleville Farm

Site of the first mill built in 1752 on the Northwest Fork of Goose Creek -- for which the community and Friends’ meetings of Goose Creek were named -- Circleville itself was named by Quaker postmaster Thomas Brown in 1836 for the two semi-circle curves made by the old Lincoln-North Fork road as it wound its way down a 456-foot-high hill and across Goose Creek. 

1765

Landmark - Goose Creek Stone Meeting House and Caretaker's Cottage

The Quakers established farms in the area and met for worship in various family homes. In 1747, the group established the Goose Creek Friends Meeting and in 1765 built this stone Meeting House. Since 1819, it has been the private residence of the caretaker and still owned by the Goose Creek Meeting.

 

1766

Nature - The Lincoln Oak

The Lincoln Oak, located at a sharp bend on Sands Road between Lincoln and Hamilton, is about 13 feet in circumference making it approximately 250 years old. It pre-dates the Revolutionary War and bore witness to the skirmish of Katy's Hollow (the Battle of Hamilton/Harmony) during the Civil War. It marks the area near where the Loudoun Branch of the Manassas Gap Railroad bed traverses the road, and where Mosby’s raiders led a surprise attack on Union troops in 1865.

1784

Landmark - Goose Creek Friends Burying Ground

The Goose Creek Friends Meeting still uses the burying ground. In 1784, the first dated burial was recorded, however there are unmarked graves and some could be older.

1815

Landmark - Oakdale School

Quakers held education in high esteem. In order to educate young members of the Meeting from area farms and the village and provide for the education of blacks living on area farms, the Quakers constructed a one-room log school house. In 1815, they built the current structure of brick made on the premises and open to all children of the area. Today the structure is used by the Quakers for their "First Day" school, as well as a volunteer "living history" program for area school children.

1819

Landmark - Goose Creek Meeting House

The current Goose Creek Meeting House was completed in 1819 as a two-story brick structure. In a freak wind storm in 1943, the second floor was destroyed. The Meeting House was eventually restored in 1949 with the second story removed as a cost-saving measure.

1820

Home - Somerset Farm

Somerset was originally built in the 1830's by Richard Henry Taylor the son of Yardley Taylor. Richard Taylor operated a Foundry on his property where he became known for crafting frog doorstops, grill work and farm bells of iron. His greatest achievement was designing and crafting the first iron beam plow to be used in Loudoun County. It also features the oldest Bald Cypruss tree in Loudoun County.

1826

Home - Evergreen Farm

Built by Yardley Taylor, surveyer, mapmaker, and owner of first commercial nursery in Loudoun County. He was one of the areas best known abolitionists, who helped slaves escape to the north to freedom.

 

One time home of Catherine Marshall, widow of Reverend Peter Marshall (former chaplain of the Senate), and world-known author who wrote popular novels, including "A Man Called Peter" and the Cristy novels. Previous owners include Howard and Sarah Hoge, and Dr. Howard Hoge Warner.

1839

Home - Springdale Home and School for Girls

Built by Samuel Janney as a boarding school for girls in 1839. He was a devout, evangelical Quaker, the author of several books, including "The Life of William Penn". A staunch abolitionist, Samuel Janney wrote about his school: "First I saw the necessity of educating the white children... And secondly, I thought it would be the means of promoting the anti-slavery sentiment which was obstructed by ignorance and prejudice."

1840

Home - Stone Eden

Sited near the skirmish at Katy's Hollow, rumor has it that a Civil War bullet passed through the kitchen window of this circa 1840 farm, creating a dent in a skillet hanging there. Currently a sheep farm.

1847

Landmark - Dogwood Farm

This farm dates from 1847 and is owned by Nancy and Mike Potts, descendents of the original owners. In 1950, there were 400 dairy farms in Loudoun. Currently, Dogwood Farm has an 80 cow herd of Holsteins. It is the last dairy farm in Loudoun County.

1853

Site - Manassas Gap Railroad Bed

The bed stretches through the Lincoln Loop, and crosses Sands Road near the Lincoln Oak. Parts of the Loudoun branch of the Manassas Gap Railroad survive here. In March 1853, construction began, the route extended 27 miles, from Centreville to Purcellville. Work was discontinued in 1857. The historical marker is 100 feet north of the site.

1860

Home - Windy Hollow

A log home on this property was moved to this site from Bloomfield, where it served as a Post Office and General Store. Also used as a hospital in the Civil War.

1865

Landmark - Colored School B

The Colored School B was an early public school for African Americans in western Loudoun County and is located on Cookesville Road in Lincoln. Completed in 1865 and built on land donated by Quakers, the two story, two room school taught children in grades one through seven. 

1865

Event - The Battle at Katy's Hollow (The Battle of Hamilton, The Skirmish at Harmony)

Over 100 of Colonel John S. Mosby's Confederacy rangers hid near the "cut" of the railroad bed on Sands Road on March 21, 1865, awaiting the approach of some 1000 Union troops who were marching through western Loudoun, burning barns, buildings, and food. Mosby's men ambushed the soldiers and chased them back to Hamilton.

1866

Landmark - Mount Olive Baptist Church

This African American Baptist Congregation was organized in 1879 and the building was erected in 1884. The church, still in use, has benefited from some of the most dedicated pastors and laymen of any in Loudoun. The property line for Mt. Olive's cemetery abuts that of Grace Church.

1870

Site - Foundry & "Bell Yard"

Richard Henry Taylor owned a foundry on this site where his popular frog doorstops, bells, and the famous Taylor Plow were made. In 1876, a rival foundry was built in Purcellville, named the Loudoun Manufacturing Co. It was common knowledge, though never proved in court, that someone from the Purcellville foundry came down one Saturday night to Richard Henry Taylor's foundry, stole his plow mold and patented it.

1874

Landmark - Lincoln Post Office

The building best known as “Janney’s Store” was originally built c1874 as a "Good Templars Hall” and had provided basketball and other recreation as an alternative to "spirits.” Asa Moore Janney, Sr. purchased the building in 1928 and opened a general merchandise store which also housed the Lincoln Post Office. The potbelly stove was a focus for gathering. His son, Asa Moore Janney, Jr. continued the family business and sold notions and groceries—bread, tobacco, nails, shirts and work clothes until the early 1990’s. You can still see the "Sunbeam Bread" ad painted over on the screen door. The building still houses the Lincoln Post Office.

1877

Home - Ferris Hill Farm

Classic example of late 19th century Virginia farmhouse architecture.

1879

Landmark - Lincoln Graded School (now Catherine Marshall Center)

Built in 1879, this building originally housed the two-room Lincoln Graded School (all ages). It served briefly as a high school but is best known as the former Lincoln Elementary School which operated on this site between 1915 and 1955. ln 1978 Mrs. Catherine Marshall, author of popular novels including "A Man Called Peter" and the “Christy” series, and widow of Reverend Peter Marshall (former chaplain of the Senate), purchased the building and established Breakthrough, Inc., an intercessory prayer ministry.

1885

Landmark - Grace Methodist Episcopal Church

The Grace Methodist Episcopal Church in Lincoln was first organized in 1872 and met in the Lincoln School (B) until the church construction was completed in 1885 by Quakers and Freedmen. The basement of the church was operated as a vocational school with local Quakers teaching sewing, cooking and shoe repair. In September of 1949, the congregation moved their services to Grace Annex United Methodist Church in Purcellville. The original structure is owned by the trustees of Grace Annex.

1886

Landmark - Orthodox Meeting House

This brick structure was built in 1886 for a splintering group of the Goose Creek Friends. Its congregants were of a more orthodox persuasion than Goose Creek. In 1950 the two Goose Creek Meetings reunited, and the building was sold as a private residence. It also provided additional classroom space for the Lincoln High School after the school burned down in 1926.

1908

Landmark - Lincoln Elementary School

Opened in 1908 on land donated by Quakers, this school was one of the first high schools in the county and was built by private subscriptions from Lincoln area Quakers. Previously, students attended the Lincoln Elementary and High School at the south end of town on property adjacent to the present Goose Creek Meeting House. In 1954 the building became the Lincoln Elementary School.

1910

Landmark - Lincoln Studios (Nichols Store)

The structure at 18187 Lincoln Road was built as a commercial building in 1908. It opened its doors as the Nichols General Merchandise and operated as a general store for at least two decades. After that it was a home, an antiques and bric-a-brac shop, and more recently, a boarding house. In 2006, Sarah Huntington, Laura Longley and Drew Babb renovated it as a photography studio and rental space for artists and professionals. Despite major renovations, the original store room is largely intact from the turn of the century, with original countertops, bead-board walls, ceilings, shelves and even drawers stencilled with the names of bulk goods, spices and so on. Today the building is a private residence.

1930s

Landmark - Abernethy & Spencer

Originally known as the Hilltop Floral and Garden Center, built circa 1935 by Holmes Gregg. Commercial and local Greenhouse operation. Currently owned by David Lohmann.

Please reload

© 2021 by ATEX Consulting. All rights reserved.

See an inaccuracy? Contact us!