Circleville Farm

Circleville Farmhouse.jpg
Circleville Farmhouse.jpg

press to zoom
Circleville Farmhouse.jpg
Circleville Farmhouse.jpg

press to zoom
1/1
Category: Site
Historical Dates: 1752
Threat Level: Low
Location: Lincoln Rd at Northwest Fork of Goose Creek
 

Site of the first mill built in 1752 on the Northwest Fork of Goose Creek -- for which the community and Friends’ meetings of Goose Creek were named -- Circleville itself was named by Quaker postmaster Thomas Brown in 1836 for the two semi-circle curves made by the old Lincoln-North Fork road as it wound its way down a 456-foot-high hill and across Goose Creek.  Pennsylvania Quaker Joseph West, a stone mason and brother of the famous American/British artist Benjamin West, built a stone bank barn and a log house here around 1750.  The barn and a portion of the house still stand on what is now Circleville Farm.

 

Historical Photos

Browns on Dead Tree Circleville.JPG

Browns on Dead Tree Circleville.JPG

Today

Circleville Farmhouse

Circleville Farmhouse

Circleville Farm View

Circleville Farm View

Circleville Bank Barn c1750

Circleville Bank Barn c1750

Detailed Information

 

Site of the first mill built in 1752 on the Northwest Fork of Goose Creek -- for which the community and Friends’ meetings of Goose Creek were named -- Circleville itself was named by Quaker postmaster Thomas Brown in 1836 for the two semi-circle curves made by the old Lincoln-North Fork road as it wound its way down a 456-foot-high hill and across Goose Creek.  Pennsylvania Quaker Joseph West, a stone mason and brother of the famous American/British artist Benjamin West, built a stone bank barn and a log house here around 1750.  The barn and a portion of the house still stand on what is now Circleville Farm.

References and Links

Photos courtesy of Paul Lawrence

 

To Visit
 19520 Lincoln Rd, Purcellville, VA 20132

Private residence